Tidal vs Spotify
Apr 29, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #331 of 382
Absurd

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #333 of 382
I don’t think this has anything to do with sound. This little guy is thirsty for attention. He can’t manage good attention, so he goes after bad attention.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #334 of 382
Yea the arguments run out and we start talking crap again, great guys :D

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #336 of 382
Problem is unless you have measurements you just sound whimsical to others, especially to those in the profession.
i obviously cheat on those, so no point in doing them, honestly, even if it where things like power cable phase direction that has measureable effects, objectivist will still try a way to deny things to keep their worldview intact

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #337 of 382
i obviously cheat on those, so no point in doing them, honestly, even if it where things like power cable phase direction that has measureable effects, objectivist will still try a way to deny things to keep their worldview intact

That was directed more at myself than others here, I wasn't criticizing you, as 'haven't walked a mile in your shoes'.

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #338 of 382
That was directed more at myself than others here, I wasn't criticizing you, as 'haven't walked a mile in your shoes'.
of course :wink:

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #339 of 382
IMO the big question with TIDAL vs SPOTIFY is still this, why the F spotify still hasnt FLAC? IMO they just wanna milk their current user base more with less bandwidth, i dont see any other logical explanation other than this

then its a question of if you wanna boycott spotify or not...

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #340 of 382
IMO the big question with TIDAL vs SPOTIFY is still this, why the F spotify still hasnt FLAC? IMO they just wanna milk their current user base more with less bandwidth, i dont see any other logical explanation other than this

then its a question of if you wanna boycott spotify or not...

You really can’t think logically can you, the simple reason is that the vast majority if their user base doesn’t care and a massive chunk if those that don’t care don’t even know what MP3 and FLAC are.

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #341 of 382
You really can’t think logically can you
i can, and i see the main incentive in money/bandwidth, not "what there userbase wants", but you are right, majority of spotify users probably dont care, and i guess spotify also sees this...

i guess the number of customers they lost over the last couple of years because of other streaming services is in the 10-30% range and that the reduction doesnt outweigth the cost of flac support, specially because now not everyone will come back and the people that stayed probably will stay anyway

for me personally i think spotify just offers less for the same price, unless you value interface/non-flac/catalog/algorithm over this (tho "non-flac" isnt really a good point here, other streaming services still let you stream in lossy formats), where catalog is probably the greates point for spotify still.... but personally i have found a good alternative in Deezer, there isnt much im missing on there, which was way worse with Qobuz, specially if you look into more modern genres like hardstyle/hardcore and probably other electronic genres

the only thing i noticed on deezer, and actually i think on others too is that some artist only offer the remastered songs, not the original master... which is kind of a shame

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #342 of 382
i can, and i see the main incentive in money/bandwidth, not what there userbase wants, but you are right, majority of spotify users probably dont care, and i guess spotify also sees this...

Money is always the incentive for a business as big as Spotify.

Bandwidth is cheap so I doubt that matters at all.

Money is created by giving their users what they want and the massive majority of their users are already getting what they want so what incentive is there to change their existing model. Hi Res or even lossless isn’t going to matter to the massive majority of their users so they don’t have any reason to implement it.

I did a quick search and as best I can see the annual revenue for Spotify is somewhere around $14 Billion dollars. Tidal is something like a couple of hundred Million. I suspect Spotify understands their market sector and the desire of their users.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #343 of 382
I did a quick search and as best I can see the annual revenue for Spotify is somewhere around $14 Billion dollars. Tidal is something like a couple of hundred Million. I suspect Spotify understands their market sector and the desire of their users.
Hmm seeing some numbers here would be definitely interesting, specially how numbers changed from 2010 or when Spotify actually started out

The thing is... Spotify was the first of the bunch and got a huge user base because of that, i was one of them back then too but switched once i tried flac vs mp3 somewhat extensively for some time as other streaming services came up, and i guess im part of a minority here

Bandwidth is cheap so I doubt that matters at all.
hmm specially buisnesses optimize for pennys (since they add up greatly in the millions range...), but you are right, bandwidth is fairly cheap and obviously other streaming services dont have a big problem offering it

Money is created by giving their users what they want and the massive majority of their users are already getting what they want so what incentive is there to change their existing model.
I mean, they do something right for sure, but im still wondering how many people are just to lazy, dont know better etc to try another streaming service since they were happy from the start with it

i would even argue 50-70% of spotify users havent even tried to compare MP3 vs Flac and dont care for CD's

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #344 of 382
Ohhh...this chart doesnt look good tho no wonder they are counting pennys ...

Screenshot from 2024-04-29 21-49-32.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back