The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Apr 20, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #541 of 559
Was yours upgraded from Gen 1, or did you get a Gen 2 from the get-go? Mine was the Gen 1 being upgraded to the Gen 2, so I can see more opportunity for mistakes since it involves partial disassembly and replacing of components. Apparently the distributor was upgrading a batch of 40 Ercos and when they went back through the checklists they found that one of them was missing the part, and mine was the unlucky one. At least they caught the issue and contacted me to make it right.
That's good. Hopefully you get it all fixed up. The ERCO 2 is excellent.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #542 of 559
Well, finished building the Redphone. Surprisingly good other than some ticking sound when moving my head. The overall sound of the headphones is fantastic though.

PXL_20240421_152930296.jpg
PXL_20240421_154609139.jpg

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #543 of 559
ZMF Pendant is in

PXL_20240425_225603431~2.jpg

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #544 of 559
Just built a Project Ember. Anyone else played with these yet?
IMG-20240428-WA0005.jpeg
PXL_20240428_231047078.jpg
PXL_20240428_230210989.jpg

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #546 of 559
Know nothing about it. How's it compare to the cheap Pass kits?
I've never heard of the Pass kit. It's impressive that the Ember can drive a Suvara though - basically no headroom, but enough power for a good volume level. It's got that crunchy tube sound to it, but definitely won't be replacing my ZMF Pendant anytime soon. It feels like a pretty amazing little tube amp for the price - lots of tube rolling options too.

May 12, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #551 of 559
@HiFiWar

Maybe if you make your thread title more than 6lines then will be default again.

IMG_3360.png
Oh man, the problem is that I just don't care at all 😂. This thread can die, I really don't mind. I'm backing out of headphones again anyway. Very happy with my ZMF Pendant SE, Sash Tres SE, and Vanatoo speakers.

May 15, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #552 of 559
Just got done reading through this, cool thread, bros! Couple things I'll chime in on:

1. Closed VS Open: In my opinion, the concept of the portable/Closed back headphone rig is a good one, that opens up enough new and various possibilities for headphone listening to make it worthwhile for most people who enjoy headphones.

20240306_154233~3.jpg

Neumann NDH20 Black Edition - this bad boy can isolate out all the crickets, rain, frogs, neighbors dogs, etc on my screen porch, as well as dishes clanking and water sloshing when I wash the dishes, people watching Netflix downstairs, anything not crazy loud. And like closed backs often do, it has the potential for incredibly satisfying bass slam and extension. I use iFi's Xspace stage-expanding crossfeed mode on my Gold Bar dongle to help keep the sound from being too small and claustrophobic, and it's freakin awesome, it really works.

2. Giant Killers: I'm selling my Rosson Rad-0, a 2600 buck serious business TOTL beast, and replacing it with this -
1000010143.jpg

a modest 350 buck "pro audio tool," the Sennheiser HD490 Pro. Obviously part of the reason for this is comfort, going from God Awful to God Tier in the comfort department, as the 490's are as light as an HD600 but with less clamp force, and the Rad-0 is bad headband + 600 grams = hell.

But of course, it's also because the tonality and technicalities of the HD490 Pro are actually similar to my ears to the Rad-0 in my particular setup, my setup being this bad boy -
20220315_112019~2.jpg

a Chord Hugo 2. The Rad-0 is not known for its soundstage, so no surprise that the 490 competes in that area, but it is known for its bass and its "resolving and slightly euphonic at the same time" detail presentation. The 490 Pro seems to really benefit from the sophisticated Chord DAC in terms of detail, definitely scaling up like a champ. The bass was a surprise to me, both in quality and quantity, it actually hits a little harder than the Rad-0, and I don't hear it as being too far off from the Rad-0 in its low end extension. The Hugo 2's crossfeed is increasing the bass impact, as well as adding some wonderful depth, with impressive layers. With the crossfeed on level 2, I believe the stage is the same width as the Rad-0, but the depth is greater, so it feels a bit more spacious.

The HD490 Pro does have a different flavor of sound from the Rads, because it presents its soundstage in a decidedly more separated way than the Rad-0, but personally I'd be fine either way. I certainly enjoy being able to really focus on individual instruments and voices due to that separated staging. It's quite immersive in an analytical (though not unpleasant) way, with its precise positional accuracy.

May 15, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #553 of 559
Just got done reading through this, cool thread, bros! Couple things I'll chime in on:

1. Closed VS Open: In my opinion, the concept of the portable/Closed back headphone rig is a good one, that opens up enough new and various possibilities for headphone listening to make it worthwhile for most people who enjoy headphones.

Neumann NDH20 Black Edition - this bad boy can isolate out all the crickets, rain, frogs, neighbors dogs, etc on my screen porch, as well as dishes clanking and water sloshing when I wash the dishes, people watching Netflix downstairs, anything not crazy loud. And like closed backs often do, it has the potential for incredibly satisfying bass slam and extension. I use iFi's Xspace stage-expanding crossfeed mode on my Gold Bar dongle to help keep the sound from being too small and claustrophobic, and it's freakin awesome, it really works.

2. Giant Killers: I'm selling my Rosson Rad-0, a 2600 buck serious business TOTL beast, and replacing it with this -

a modest 350 buck "pro audio tool," the Sennheiser HD490 Pro. Obviously part of the reason for this is comfort, going from God Awful to God Tier in the comfort department, as the 490's are as light as an HD600 but with less clamp force, and the Rad-0 is bad headband + 600 grams = hell.

But of course, it's also because the tonality and technicalities of the HD490 Pro are actually similar to my ears to the Rad-0 in my particular setup, my setup being this bad boy -

a Chord Hugo 2. The Rad-0 is not known for its soundstage, so no surprise that the 490 competes in that area, but it is known for its bass and its "resolving and slightly euphonic at the same time" detail presentation. The 490 Pro seems to really benefit from the sophisticated Chord DAC in terms of detail, definitely scaling up like a champ. The bass was a surprise to me, both in quality and quantity, it actually hits a little harder than the Rad-0, and I don't hear it as being too far off from the Rad-0 in its low end extension. The Hugo 2's crossfeed is increasing the bass impact, as well as adding some wonderful depth, with impressive layers. With the crossfeed on level 2, I believe the stage is the same width as the Rad-0, but the depth is greater, so it feels a bit more spacious.

The HD490 Pro does have a different flavor of sound from the Rads, because it presents its soundstage in a decidedly more separated way than the Rad-0, but personally I'd be fine either way. I certainly enjoy being able to really focus on individual instruments and voices due to that separated staging. It's quite immersive in an analytical (though not unpleasant) way, with its precise positional accuracy.
I just got the new HiBy R4 DAP - an android 12 DAP with 4.4mm output and a decent screen for $250 (possibly the cheapest Android 12 DAP out there). Hoping it's good as I will use it for portable listening. Also, it's green. Most anime DAP ever. Oh, and it actually works - so far. Only required 3 resets - probably a record for a HiBy products.

PXL_20240515_233809620.jpg
PXL_20240515_233426156.jpg

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #554 of 559
Hey, any chance to widen this thread to DACs and Amps, portable or desktop, cheap or expensive...
Honestly, I didn't find a thread related to those (is there any).
It might be a nice addition to the headphones.

If not, is someone willing to open a thread dedicated to amps and DACs?

Cheers!

May 16, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #555 of 559
well another chat zone, cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back