Mid Fi - General chat for all discussions and general chat a Thread for all.
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #271 of 377
Right, and this is what I'm trying to get at. If the goal of this thread is to be "middle class" then what's the implication for threads that play at price points below the ones delineated here? Are those threads to be "lower middle class" or less than middle class entirely (insert your choice of terminology here)? I understand that you guys are just trying to have fun, and mean no harm. But if somebody managed to take offense at what this thread implies, well, I can't say that it would be impossible to understand why.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to dissuade you guys. I'm just pointing out that some of the basis for this thread sounds a little weird to me, for the reasons I stated above.
Gosh, I just started reading this thread and got here and it seems you’re making this political and class based? What. Before I go on can someone tell me if this gets better or do I just stop now. Wooof

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #272 of 377
Gosh, I just started reading this thread and got here and it seems you’re making this political and class based? What. Before I go on can someone tell me if this gets better or do I just stop now. Wooof
Don't think anyone has mentioned it in the last 10-12 pages, until you just brought it back up again.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #275 of 377
20240429_173336.jpg

Teetering on the very first rung of midfi but playing strong in midfi playback the iBasso 3T-154 giving over head headphone staging with decent bass, more subbass than mid bass with forward natural mids and very nice transition from upper mids into the treble. A 15.4mm DD housed in a large metal shell. It's actually quite comfortable and light. Well worth getting a listen.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #276 of 377
FiiO BTR7 and ~120€ Yincrow RW2000. This is full-fledged midfi since earbud prices are much more reasonable in comparison to IEMs.

1000012826.jpg

1000012823.jpg

Hard to beat the enjoyment these bring lately. Considering the price I would wholeheartedly rec these to just about anyone. I had no idea earbuds can be so good ... especially when used at home on a much more powerful (3W powerful) Venture Electronics Stack 🥰

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #277 of 377

Teetering on the very first rung of midfi but playing strong in midfi playback the iBasso 3T-154 giving over head headphone staging with decent bass, more subbass than mid bass with forward natural mids and very nice transition from upper mids into the treble. A 15.4mm DD housed in a large metal shell. It's actually quite comfortable and light. Well worth getting a listen.
Very interesting, this one! Thanks for the recommendation.

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #278 of 377

And worth playing around with tips and cables. I settled on Divinus Velvets and SPC first and copper for now (in my case the Code 24c)...

Would be great if you could give us your impressions on how it does compare to your other single DDs after proper burn-in... 😃

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #279 of 377
Apr 29, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #280 of 377
And worth playing around with tips and cables. I settled on Divinus Velvets and SPC first and copper for now (in my case the Code 24c)...

Would be great if you could give us your impressions on how it does compare to your other single DDs after proper burn-in... 😃
Will do the Enigma is getting more ear time at the moment while it burns in. Does the copper cable warm up the signature? I'm using a copper silver alloy cable cos it looked pretty lol 😆

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #281 of 377
FiiO BTR7 and ~120€ Yincrow RW2000. This is full-fledged midfi since earbud prices are much more reasonable in comparison to IEMs.

Hard to beat the enjoyment these bring lately. Considering the price I would wholeheartedly rec these to just about anyone. I had no idea earbuds can be so good ... especially when used at home on a much more powerful (3W powerful) Venture Electronics Stack 🥰
I'm interested because they look like they have a chance of staying put in my ears compared to mx500s and bells

Apr 29, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #282 of 377
I'm still struggling as to what classifies as midfi.

For those that have heard the CCA Trio, do you think these are midfi?
If so or not, why?

Obviously the Trio doesn't qualify to those that judge midfi by price, but what about performance?

Not trying to create a flame war, just discussion and thoughts on what performance aspects need to be hit for something to be classified as midfi.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #283 of 377

If so or not, why?

Obviously the Trio doesn't qualify to those that judge midfi by price, but what about performance?

Not trying to create a flame war, just discussion and thoughts on what performance aspects need to be hit for something to be classified as midfi.

The first post indicates the rule is there are no rules .... just common sense and courtesy is my take on it.

Go for it with the CCA Trio, I keep seeing them mentioned but haven't read anything in detail, your comments might prompt me to order a set ??

If it is mid fi priced and crappy performance and you want to warn others off all good, alternatively if it is cheap but spectacular performance all good also I would think.

I think the essence is anything goes except ultra budget that most enthusiasts probably would not be into nor priced high that most folks are also not into to because we don't have the surplus cash to buy $6,000 IEM and $2,000 cables or we are simply not interested in spending that much to listen to music right in our earholes, they have their place in the WC thread :relaxed:

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #284 of 377

If so or not, why?

Many years ago I decided there was no reason my mid life crisis couldn’t last from 20-80 as long as I lived to be 100. Mid-fi is like that to me. There are some obvious budget trash and budget bargains with solid performance versus price. There are also some obvious money no object, statement pieces and some TOTL SOTA performers that are true works of art in function and form. Mid-fi is everything else.

Apr 29, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #285 of 377

If so or not, why?

I feel like midfi describes a price point rather than a sound profile.

Trio would be priced even below midfi. At $30-40, I would call that lofi, but that identifies the problem.

What happens when lofi sounds like midfi, or dare I say, hifi? Not entirely sure, but it's indeed exciting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back