CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 16, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #557 of 704
Did anyone listened to HeadAmp Grand Cayman DHT Electrostatic Amp ? I have a BHSE and I am considering "upgrading it" to Justin's new baby !

thanks
I listened to it both at Chicago (20B tube version) and this weekend (300B tube version) and they both are elite level. Talked to Justin who said he's leaning toward providing buyers a choice between which tube set they want to run and making it possible to adapt from one version to the other, albeit I took it as it would likely not be field swappable unless you're a competent tech. He discussed the benefits of both which was insightful and I'm not sure if I would have a clear choice at this point. Before I would have leaned toward 300B due to availability and tube rolling options but the 20B certainly brings lower distortion numbers. It is a significant upgrade to the BHSE, in my opinion.

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #558 of 704
Other takeaways - typical caveats as these are just the ramblings of one attendee

FE25th was fantastic with the Susvara but I'm not sure if it was synergy due to the Elrogs and DAVE and how it would have been with another DAC. With the Final 8K, the same combo wasn't impressive.

Zahl HM1 is a nice amp that I'd rather have available as a preamp. I know one can run it that way but I'm not sure if it's the 9k preamp for me. Benchmark like clarity, so if you're looking for a clean sound, it delivers.

Narukami is very nice and it was a treat to get to hear it in the suite. Makes me more interested in exploring what four tube, 300b amps are out there to see whether it was this implementation of low power or if it's what you get when you run them lower.

Sennheiser HE1 - fun session with Eric capped off day 1 for me - always a treat to hear it but I'm not sure I'd ever be satisfied with it long term.

Raal - I like the Magna over the Immanis. Magna is more balanced to my ears but both are high resolution. I like the Immanis off the CFA3 better than the Raal amp.

ZMF Caldera Closed - sounds like a Caldera so if you like one I can't see where you'd not like the other.

adding a couple items I forgot to mention:

Abyss 1266 out of the back of the Riviera was fantastic.

Everything I heard from the CFA3 sounded top notch.

Grand Cayman - 20B or 300B - either way it's elite status with the T2

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #559 of 704
Anyone who tested the Elysian Pilgrim and is also familiar with the Diva think it's still worth purchasing Diva now? Was just about to pick it up the Diva and then read about the Pilgrim so don't now what to do now haha..
Diva imo has the upper-hand in terms of bass quantity and reach IMO, though that said Pilgrim has that DD quality and texture to its mid-bass presentation. That said Diva's sub-bass reach is still phenomenal. I enjoy it for EDM tracks very much, and wouldn't switch to Pilgrim for what Diva does. Pilgrim has slightly sparklier treble and less detailed overall, but both are quite fun to listen. Perhaps for entry model the Pilgrim would make for a wiser purchase, especially if you don't have a reasonably powerful source at hand. Diva's a bit harder to drive so scales more given extra driving power. YMMVAAT

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #560 of 704
I listened to it both at Chicago (20B tube version) and this weekend (300B tube version) and they both are elite level. Talked to Justin who said he's leaning toward providing buyers a choice between which tube set they want to run and making it possible to adapt from one version to the other, albeit I took it as it would likely not be field swappable unless you're a competent tech. He discussed the benefits of both which was insightful and I'm not sure if I would have a clear choice at this point. Before I would have leaned toward 300B due to availability and tube rolling options but the 20B certainly brings lower distortion numbers. It is a significant upgrade to the BHSE, in my opinion.
Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I know I will want to “upgrade” my BHSE to the Grand Cayman.

On another subject could you explain why you write about the Sennheiser HE1 “…. but I'm not sure I'd ever be satisfied with it long term.” ?? Will you be better long terme with a Grand Cayman ? :wink:

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #561 of 704
Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I know I will want to “upgrade” my BHSE to the Grand Cayman.

On another subject could you explain why you write about the Sennheiser HE1 “…. but I'm not sure I'd ever be satisfied with it long term.” ?? Will you be better long terme with a Grand Cayman ? :wink:
If I had to choose, I'd likely go with the GC as it's a flexible platform versus a fixed system

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #562 of 704
Other takeaways - typical caveats as these are just the ramblings of one attendee

FE25th was fantastic with the Susvara but I'm not sure if it was synergy due to the Elrogs and DAVE and how it would have been with another DAC. With the Final 8K, the same combo wasn't impressive.

Zahl HM1 is a nice amp that I'd rather have available as a preamp. I know one can run it that way but I'm not sure if it's the 9k preamp for me. Benchmark like clarity, so if you're looking for a clean sound, it delivers.

Narukami is very nice and it was a treat to get to hear it in the suite. Makes me more interested in exploring what four tube, 300b amps are out there to see whether it was this implementation of low power or if it's what you get when you run them lower.

Sennheiser HE1 - fun session with Eric capped off day 1 for me - always a treat to hear it but I'm not sure I'd ever be satisfied with it long term.

Raal - I like the Magna over the Immanis. Magna is more balanced to my ears but both are high resolution. I like the Immanis off the CFA3 better than the Raal amp.

ZMF Caldera Closed - sounds like a Caldera so if you like one I can't see where you'd not like the other.

adding a couple items I forgot to mention:

Abyss 1266 out of the back of the Riviera was fantastic.

Everything I heard from the CFA3 sounded top notch.

Grand Cayman - 20B or 300B - either way it's elite status with the T2

Nearly the same takeaways as you. :beerchug:

The CFA was marvelous. I want to say I'm surprised the main thread doesn't have more activity but after talking with Justin they've been having trouble sourcing parts reliably, so few own it right now.

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #563 of 704
Hey everyone!

In just 1 hour Bri and I will be recapping our New York CanJam trip live on my YouTube. I welcome anyone to hop in the chat and join us in discussions and shared moments!

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #564 of 704
Hey everyone!

In just 1 hour Bri and I will be recapping our New York CanJam trip live on my YouTube. I welcome anyone to hop in the chat and join us in discussions and shared moments!

🧙‍♂️🪄 Relive the magic! 🎉 🥳

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #566 of 704
Hey everyone!

I'll have the video uploaded by 7ET for those that want to catch the recap. I'll add chapters as we kind of jumped around a bit as live streams tend to go!

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #567 of 704
Hey, did anyone take a picture of the Effect Audio cables on their table? Between the Ares S and Cadmus, one I liked and one I didn't. Hoping a pic will jog my memory.

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #568 of 704
Hey, did anyone take a picture of the Effect Audio cables on their table? Between the Ares S and Cadmus, one I liked and one I didn't. Hoping a pic will jog my memory.

I didn't, but those two are easily contrasted. The Ares (copper colored) is quite warm while the Cadmus (silver colored) is much brighter. Hope that helps?

Mar 16, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #569 of 704
I didn't, but those two are easily contrasted. The Ares (copper colored) is quite warm while the Cadmus (silver colored) is much brighter. Hope that helps?
Thank you, then it was the Cadmus I liked. Appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back