Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
May 16, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #1,729 of 1,779
On a budget, get something like this or a nap250-inspired amp

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005006068694011.html
Good sounding module, terrible choice! It may perform better with the analogue source, definitely no go for the NOS DAC. It comes initially with good impression on clarity, but is more fatiguing with my R2R-11 than Delta-Sigma output from the laptop. With the class AB amp it is in reverse. A reason, poor filtering of ultrasonic content, digital amps need a clean source with a bandwith limited to 20kHz, but this amp has no input buffer, virtually no filtering.

Better performing was cheaper and less resolving FX Audio FX502SPro from Amazon (TPA3250 TI chip). Still I was wondering what was wrong with my ears!

I can recommend entry level Denon PMA 520AE with a bandwith 100kHz and a modern design, no opamps when bypassing bass/treble controls.

When all my gear was taken, I brought back these digital amps from storage, result was the same. Finally got a replacement of the same Denon model.
^^^This. Whow! Why not is South Africa???

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #1,730 of 1,779
Good sounding module, terrible choice! It may perform better with the analogue source, definitely no go for the NOS DAC. It comes initially with good impression on clarity, but is more fatiguing with my R2R-11 than Delta-Sigma output from the laptop. With the class AB amp it is in reverse. A reason, poor filtering of ultrasonic content, digital amps need a clean source with a bandwith limited to 20kHz, but this amp has no input buffer, virtually no filtering.

Better performing was cheaper and less resolving FX Audio FX502SPro from Amazon (TPA3250 TI chip). Still I was wondering what was wrong with my ears!

I can recommend entry level Denon PMA 520AE with a bandwith 100kHz and a modern design, no opamps when bypassing bass/treble controls.

When all my gear was taken, I brought back these digital amps from storage, result was the same. Finally got a replacement of the same Denon model.

^^^This. Whow! Why not is South Africa???
I tried a class T (tripath) with good results but prefer the nap250 in my office setup. The one with separate transfo on ali. The precision 3s should best it though.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #1,731 of 1,779
I tried a class T (tripath) with good results but prefer the nap250 in my office setup. The one with separate transfo on ali. The precision 3s should best it though.
Class D amps had always been harsh on treble. Not up to the Audio GD standard. It may change with new Gallium Nitride (GaN) power transistors, when switching frequency will raise. It takes time to integrate with such excellent designs like TPA325x, but it will happen eventually.

I have to repeat, as there seem no agrement in recommending ICEPower 125ASX2 raw module for the NOS DAC. It has no input buffer, no filtering. Wrong application. However it will work great bandwith limited in a subwoofer.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #1,732 of 1,779
Class D amps had always been harsh on treble. Not up to the Audio GD standard. It may change with new Gallium Nitride (GaN) power transistors, when switching frequency will raise. It takes time to integrate with such excellent designs like TPA325x, but it will happen eventually.

I have to repeat, as there seem no agrement in recommending ICEPower 125ASX2 raw module for the NOS DAC. It has no input buffer, no filtering. Wrong application. However it will work great bandwith limited in a subwoofer.
Class t (Tripath) is better than your usual class-d. But a class a or a/b wins for treble, i am not arguing.

May 16, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,733 of 1,779
Hey all. I'm selling a R28NOS in perfect condition. It's amazing and perfect for a desktop but I just came on some bills I need to pay more than I need to keep this so it's gotta go. Let me know via private message if anyone is interested. I'll send photos and we can talk about shipping.

May 16, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #1,734 of 1,779
Hey all. I'm selling a R28NOS in perfect condition. It's amazing and perfect for a desktop but I just came on some bills I need to pay more than I need to keep this so it's gotta go. I ordered it from Magna HIFI Jan 9th so it's good and fresh and broken in and amazing. Let me know via private message if anyone is interested. I'll send photos and we can talk about shipping. I'd love to take care of it person to person and not have to deal with any sites that ask for selling fees.

May 18, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #1,736 of 1,779
May 18, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #1,739 of 1,779
If you are interested, as the listing states, I am accepting offers so you're welcome to approach your ideal lowered price there. Besides that I don't remember asking for selling advice.
Ok good luck selling it for almost a new price then👍

May 18, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #1,740 of 1,779
Ok good luck selling it for almost a new price then👍

Selling audio gear these days just sucks.
Sold mine R28 from 2020 for 650€…

When I started the hobby, it was so easy -> bought headphones, listened, didn't like them, sold them.
Same with amps and DACs.
Sometimes it took less than 24 hours, and I always met nice people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back