DIY Earbuds
May 26, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #4,726 of 4,738
I'm looking for some recommendations on which drivers to go with for my first solo DIY build. I built the Artiste Nightingale by @mt877 with the QIGOM S68A driver which sounds good but the treble can be a little harsh and there is some vocal distortion if I increase the bass too much. I also like the sound from OpenHeart's Nightingale which I think uses XinYue's LCP driver but vocals lack width and can feel flat. I'm looking for a driver with detailed mids and treble that isn't too harsh or sibilant that still has some bass presence along with a decently wide soundstage. I know now thanks to @mt877 that what shells you use with the drivers will affect the sound you get from them but at least if I have a driver that has most of those qualities I can swap shells and adjust their tuning to get the most out of them. I see the 130 ohm beryl driver is well regarded and I think this is the product page for it, but there are other drivers that have been mentioned here that I'm not sure where they're sold as I haven't seen any links to them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Using 130 ohm beryllium drivers is the quickest way to make great DIY earbuds.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #4,727 of 4,738
I've been busy and finished three more sets.

400 Ohm Graphene
400 Graph.jpg

120 Ohm Be Composite
120 Be Comp.jpg

300 Ohm Multi Layer Diaphragm
300 MLD.jpg

So far, I haven't run into a driver I don't like. Everything that I've built works for at least one genre or another. I also think that my experiments with color have been pretty successful and eventually I'll have a whole rainbow of earphones to listen to. :)

Attachments

• 300 MLD.jpg
    300 MLD.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 120 Be Comp.jpg
    120 Be Comp.jpg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 400 Graph.jpg
    400 Graph.jpg
    759.6 KB · Views: 0
May 29, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #4,728 of 4,738
May 29, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #4,729 of 4,738
These look incredible! Where are the shells from?

The shells are just generic Clear MX500 Shells. I've ordered them from a couple of different stores and dye them on the stove, along with the wire for the cables. Actually, the second pair uses these translucent black shells and this brown wire, also dyed.

I finished another pair today using this 18 Ohm titanium driver.
Lemon Skies.jpg
These drivers seem to work with my tube amp, in spite of the low impedance. The seem to sound a bit similar to the 120 ohm Be driver above, but I've been making them a bit fast and need to spend some time listening to get familiar with each driver.

May 30, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #4,731 of 4,738
Great idea to dye them!

I might try 3D printing the shells. Does any have STL file(s) for shells like this?
If you want MX500, I modeled one here. Or you could try the Val39 which is s good copy of the Qian39.

May 30, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #4,733 of 4,738
Any chance the bass port can be modeled as well - or is that a bit tricky?

The model is done, I just haven't gotten around to uploading it yet. There are also a bunch of other potential improvements that I want to test out.

I'll also add that I haven't had the chance to test print the model yet (my printer's packed up ready for a house move) so I can't guarantee quality.

May 30, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #4,734 of 4,738
The model is done, I just haven't gotten around to uploading it yet. There are also a bunch of other potential improvements that I want to test out.

I'll also add that I haven't had the chance to test print the model yet (my printer's packed up ready for a house move) so I can't guarantee quality.

Happy to test it for you, if you like?

I've got a 3D printer here but sadly no idea how to make models! I only know how to print!!

May 30, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #4,735 of 4,738
Happy to test it for you, if you like?

I've got a 3D printer here but sadly no idea how to make models! I only know how to print!!
That would be great! Also depending on your slicer you might be able to just add a hole for the bass port.

May 30, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #4,736 of 4,738
I've updated the model with a bass port here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back